The Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall

There used to be a house with a tower in its place in the 14th century, which was built upon order by the mayor Jacob. The old town hall arose in the 15th century by connecting several burgher houses and it went through several reconstructions in the course of centuries. After earthquake of 1599, it was reconstructed in Renaissance style, while the town-hall tower was rebuilt in baroque style in the 18th century and in 1912 the rear wing was constructed in neorenaissance style from the side of the courtyard and neogothic style from the side of the Primacial square. The town-hall tower was of defensive nature. At the bottom, you may find a table with the date of February 1850 reminding the water level upon flood, when the Danube ran out of its bed. Left of the Gothic window, there is immured a cannon ball reminding attacks of Napolenonic troops in 1809. At the corner of the tower, the statue of Madonna of 1676 is located. Decisions of the assembly, royal decrees and orders of town council were announced from the balcony of the tower in the past. Note a fresco of an old man of 1533 as well as a statuette of the Hungarian King St. Ladislaus. The Municipal museum is the oldest museum of Bratislava, as it was founded in 1868. Entrance to the exposition of feudal justice system and history of the town is in the corner of the courtyard.

Hotel Carlton BratislavaPyramid buildingBratislava CastleView from SlavinPizza Mizza Bratislava

Similar photos:
Bratislava Castle
Aupark Shopping Center
Residence of the President
Incheba Expo Bratislava
Medusa cafe & restaurant
Random photos:
Grassalkovich Presidential Palace
Pyramid building
Bratislava Castle
UFO restaurant by night
People's Lounge

Permalink: The Old Town Hall