St. Martinīs Cathedral

St. Martinīs Cathedral

The three-nave Gothic church was built in the place of the original Romanesque church. They started building it in the beginning of the 14th century and it was consecrated in 1452. Dimensions of the church are also remarkable: length 69.37 m, width 22,85 m, height 16.02 m. Several chapels were added to the church – Gothic chapel of St. Sophia, widow after the Czech King Wenceslas IV, chapel of St. Anna and baroque chapel of St. John the Almoner.

Tower of the church was constructed simultaneously with 3 naves of the church, while it was integral part of city walls serving to defend the town. Its height is 85 m and there is a gilded pillow of dimensions 2 m x 2 m on the top, while a 1 m high copy of the Hungarian royal crown weighing 300 kg is placed on it. In the 16th century, the Dome witnessed coronation of Hungarian Kings. Within 1563 – 1830, there were crowned 11 Hungarian Kings and 8 royal wives. Beethoven‘s Missa Solemnis was played for the first time in this church.
The highest church tower is 85 m high tower of the Dome of St. Martin. Initially it was integral part of city walls, simultaneously fulfilling function of a defence bastion. Solid wooden structure of the tower covered with copper sheet is bearing on its tip gilded crown weighing 300 kg and resting on a square pillow whose upper surface is 4 m2. The crown is a symbol of coronation church, which was the Dome of St. Martin from 1563 to 1830.

National Bank of SlovakiaBratislava - coronation townPaparazzi statueSlovak Television buildingCafe Mayer

Similar photos:
Bratislava Castle
Aupark Shopping Center
Residence of the President
Incheba Expo Bratislava
Medusa cafe & restaurant
Random photos:
IBM Bratislava
Jazz Cafe Bratislava
View from New bridge
Danubiana Art Museum
Paparazzi statue

Permalink: St. Martinīs Cathedral